Thursday, February 4, 2010

RAP And PAP

Do y'all think one is limited in their potential artistic profoundness (PAP) by one's parents, and their realized artistic profoundness (RAP)? Been reading a lot of great poetry lately, which has caused me to think a lot about my own PAP, and the concept of PAP in general. Of course I would like to become a writer of profundity, whose hard-won technical skills have allowed him to turn his eye to the creation of sheer, irrefutable art, in the end reaching or even surpassing the pinnacles of past poetry (PPP).

I seem to try to position my writing diametrically opposite my perception of my dad's writing. This must be partly because I'm his kid, and nothing he can do can be great, or at least not intentionally so. Also because he is, after all, a writer only as a hobby, and if there's anything the future will require of us, it may as well be the existence of professional writers. Maybe I need to recognize the total validity of my parents' RAP instead of belittling or denying it; maybe I need to build off of their RAP so that I can someday achieve my own PAP.

I think by RAP I am just meaning the lives of each of my parents if they were reduced to the embodiment of some considered artistic vision. Then PAP, or perhaps it should be "perceived PAP" (or PePAP), has to be the part of my ability to create great art which is dependent on my parents in the same way that my hairline or my cholesterol is dependent on my parents.

I admit it might seem like art is not the same as a hairline, yet, it is.

2 comments:

  1. I suggest gaining inspiration from, and perhaps conversing with, Jakob Dylan and Julian Lennon. I'm sure their lives are totally shadowed by the most intense forms of PAP and RAP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basically, if they can do it, so can you.

    ReplyDelete