Sunday, October 17, 2010

View

Above are a few photos, stitched together into a panorama using Picasa, that I took of my neighborhood from the top of a hill nearby. Nearly anywhere else in the world this neighborhood might be a city in its own right, but in Seoul, with a metropolitan population of 24-ish million, it's just a neighborhood. My apartment is in a non-descript grayish building about a third of the way over from the left side, just under and to the right of the leftmost building with a red white and blue chicken logo. The building I work in is the blue one just to the left of center.

Interesting things I've learned (kinda) recently:

  1. The Korean word for "login" is "로그인," which, transliterated, is roughly something like "rogeen"--the koreanized version of the same word in English. Taken as separate words, those syllables (로 그 인) mean "As it is."
  2. The Korean word for the Arial font, 굴림체, translates literally as "grooved oyster body."
  3. The Globalization and World Cities Group publishes an annual list of "World Cities" that is structuralized and heirarchicalized in a way that is, to me, scarily similar to the social heirarchy in Brave New World, complete with Alpha Double Plus and Gamma Minus castes of cities.
  4. Since September 1, my father has been mowing the lawn about every six days.

1 comment: