Saturday, August 29, 2009

Adios a México

So its almost been 3 months here now. Wow, time really does fly. So I dont really remember the last time that I posted, but it feels like a lifetime ago. So a quick recap of whats happened since then. I left Guanajuato, an amazing culturally vibrant city that I hope to go back to someday, and some good friends there. From there I went to San Miguel de Allende and my first WWOOF farm. San Miguel is an interesting place. I think its where every rich, eccentric Texan goes to retire. Some mexicanos told me that 80% are gringos, but others told me more like 40% which I would definitly believe. Anyway, it makes an interesting mix of American alternative culture and Mexican culture.

So the farm, not exactly a farm as in there werent any animals besides a half blind and deaf dog and 4 cats. La dueña, Teresa, is a 65 year old hippi from the states that practices permaculture and performs rituals like temezcales (sweat lodges) and other cures. There was also a Belgian shaman living there, and I mean that quite seriously...he knew things. He was leading transdances in San Miguel once a week and I went to see what it was all about and let me tell you... its trippy. You dance blindfolded for about 2 hours---it doesnt feel like it at all.

So one of the times we went into town, and I checked my email at an internet cafe I stupidly took out my wallet to check a number for my mom on my id card and left it beside the computer. Needless to say, someone took it along with my debit card, credit card, cash, drivers license and a copy of my passport--so then I had 30 pesos.

So we were just leaving town when it happened to a neighbors party, and I was able to borrow some American{s cellphone. Let me tell you, the phones are fucked up here. It is so difficult to call people. So it wouldnt call wells fargo to cancel the cards, so I called my parents to call the bank. I got them all the numbers and important info before the line cut out. What I didnt know was that it totally freaked my Mom out and she spent the next 2 days a nervous wreck because for some reason she thought that I would be in constant contact, even though I was on a farm and only went to town about 1 time per week. After about a week I was able to get some more money which I{m hoping will make it til I leave for Peru.

So now I{ve just arrived in Mexico City. Its huge, but I must say I like it better than big US cities like NY. For example, I arrived at the bus station and went directly to the subway. The Belgian shaman told me the stop to go to and the name of a hotel with a sketchy map but that was it. So, in the subway I just asked this guy how to go there, and fortunately he was going the same direction, guided me through all the transfers and out of the metro and helped me find the hotel, which took about an hour of wandering around. All for a complete stranger. Now who would do that in NY?

1 comment: