Sunday, May 31, 2009

so im in a place only accessible by boat or plane, everywhere outside of our lodgings all I see is wilderness, and there is wireless here. weird. I am at a cannery on Kodiak island. It isnt in operation aymore-it used to have hundreds of people living and working here in the summers processing salmon. Now it is owned by a couple, Robert and Anita, theyve had it for like 6 years and live here alone...its pretty cool. they are awesome. We're hangin out here working on our fishing nets until the salmon season opens. 
man, you guys would love it here. the wildlife is insane, ive always taken it for granted but its so fucking amazing. There are sea otters everywhere, river otters, whales, there are two gray foxes who hang out around the cabin a lot, bald eagles all over the place, seals, rabbits, puffins...I absolutely love being this close to nature, constantly reminded that humans aren't the only animals around.
Weve been eating fresh halibut and cod, and native ferns, and the water comes from a spring right here, its really cool. 
its cold though. I wear 2 pairs of socks, leggings and jeans/sweats, underarmor and a sweatshirt and heavy fleece. im sadly watching my meager tan fade. my fingers are really fucking cold right now so ima go. 
ill let you know when i see grizzlies!



3 comments:

  1. You have no idea how jealous I am of you right now. Alaska is quickly working its way to the top of my list of places to go. Maybe next summer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WANT NATURE!!!!

    i was on the plane coming back to salem the other day and i bought a backpacker magazine. as i sat on the plane and opened the mag to a random page i saw the most beautiful picture of yosemite nat'l park and my eyes teared up.

    SO DOES THIS MEAN WE CAN SKYPE?!?!?!?!? text me beeetch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, sounds pretty nice... Hey, I downloaded every Jay-Z album the other day. So like, I can listen to Jay-Z for 12 hours straight if I want to. Yo but I swear I have been spending time outdoors though.

    ReplyDelete