Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Guess Whose Back

Hey yall. I remembered we had this blog, and I went to look at it, and I saw that you folks have been posting HELLA. I was euphoric for a minute. Out of control. So, I'm gonna get back into it! To start off with, here are some notes I took when I went to Carkeek Park the other day to chill by myself. I was walking through a marsh, and I heard all this yelling but I couldn’t see where it was coming from. I emerged from the trees onto this meadow where a huge group of bronze-skinned high schoolers were playing kickball and drinking. I sat down at a picnic table, and read and listened to what they were saying. I know that’s questionable, but I really enjoy eavesdropping.

----

“I love you Kate! Redheads for life! […] You know we’re going extinct, right?”

“Doesn’t this beer look like some Tang?”

“You guys, it’s a friendly game. Friendly game, yeah?”

“Action, action, read all about it! Jessica’s gonna hit a home run, no doubt about it!"
--One team, encouraging their kicker

“Um, are you guys smoking marijuana over here, cause you know that’s illegal.”

This next sequence came when Ryan decided he wanted to chug a glass boot full of beer. I got the sense he had already enjoyed a fair amount of beer, and in fact, shortly after finishing the boot, Ryan chucked it all up into the bushes, to the tittering of his friends and cajolers.

(As Ryan is chugging, stated by a kid about 4 feet from Ryan)
“He’ll do it, he’ll do it, he’s crazy. He does this all the time! He’ll do it, he’ll do it.”

“He’s throwin’ up!”

“Hey Ryan, go again! I missed it, go again!”

“Your two kidneys can’t handle it. If you would’ve waited like 20 minutes…”

(Ryan didn’t say this next line.)
“Let’s do another one!”
then,
“Only a Mexican would say that.”

5 comments:

  1. i went to powells a while back and i remembered to check up on walker percy. i started reading the first couple of pages of love in the ruins but it wasnt the same as you reading it aloud. so i didnt get it, haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I recorded myself reading it, would you listen to it, like a book on tape?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another red-head named Katie...interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha yes id love that. the question is would you ever do that for me?

    ReplyDelete