Monday, June 21, 2010

ah, the bounty of Oregon!

I am on the 6th and final week of the Zena farm summer program. I live at the farmhouse with 5 other campers, plus katie rigs, our RA. Despite some fairly large organizational shortcomings of the program, I have really liked living out on the farm. The stars are surprisingly clear and plentiful on fair nights, despite our close proximity to Salem. We do a couple hours of manual labor a day; shoveling compost, etc, which feels healthy and invigorating and directly useful.
We have also visited several small-scale organic farms in the valley, which has been one of the most impressive aspects of the program for me. To see people making a living by just growing vegetables and selling them at markets is...hmm, inspiring I think is the word. These farmers have such extensive and intimate knowledge about the land they live and work with, and the food that they grow. A farmer named Elanor said to us, as we commented on the gorgeous, green, lush landscape her farm sits in, "We are more interested in what this place is doing to us than what we do to it."
She and her husband were clearly very knowledgeable farmers, and probably could have expanded their production and/or income at the expense of soil health, water health, and wildlife, but that just wasn't their philosophy. I love meeting people who choose lifestyles immersed in nature over shittier but higher paying jobs. It is such a physical and visceral life, one that seems incredibly healthy and nourishing, and is very closely connected to the earth. cliche as that sounds, it's really true. It's not hard to see why some people choose it.
I've also been picking up tidbits of knowledge about wine lately, secondhand from Brian, who now works at Willamette Valley vineyards.
Did you know that manioc, cassava, and yucca are the same plant?
Aside from Twilight, what has everyone been reading so far this summer? I've been liking Walt Whitman's "Leaves of Grass" lately.


9 comments:

  1. that sounds awesome natarat! and that's really cool that brian works at willamette vineyards; fantastic!

    to answer your question: i reread catch-22, and i re-loved it also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. le sigh, I love you Natz. From my aunt I received 3 Cups of Tea, a non fiction book about a climber in Pakistan who was rescued by a mountain village of Balti people and who promised to return to build them a school and his adventures in such.

    Also, per recommendation of Timm, I read Eleven Minutes about a Brazilian prostitute's search for true love and profound discoveries of human nature through sex.

    I've had a strange urge to reread Chopin's The Awakening and have really been digging ee cummings poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything" when I go places, because it's paperback, and Larry McMurtry's "Lonesome Dove" when I'm not going places, because it's hardcover.

    The first one has a pretty pretentious title, but it's fun to read. It's a history of science, pretty much, which is interesting to me, but the references are really confusing. They're not noted within the text at all; instead you have to flip to a section near the end of the book called "Notes," where, arranged by page, are paraphrases of the little bits of info that the author has a source for. Assuming you're lucky, and the piece of info you wanted to know more about is included in his paraphrases, then you're rewarded with the author and page number (but usually no book title) where he found that information. Now you flip to the Bibliography, where you can finally find the publication information for the original source. Makes me appreciate MLA Style. But still not Chicago. That shit's stupid. Oh, and inside the back cover I made a list titled "Things Never to Do on a Mushroom Trip," containing the following:
    - meet unfamiliar people in unfamiliar places
    - visit an animal shelter
    - walk next to a busy street
    I think if I were to make the list again, though, I'd call it "Things I Think I'd Rather Not Do on a Mushroom Trip."

    The second is "a novel . . . about the American West as it really was." I'm not convinced whoever wrote that knows what the American West was really like, but the story seems believable, anyway. I guess it's appropriate that I'm reading it in Wyoming, surrounded by ranches and livestock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. note: <3 = heart only in facebook world :( :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started the Monkey Wrench Gang --awesome story of ecoterrorists in the southwest, inspirational in not quite a constructive way...

    ReplyDelete