Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Travel Plans, Inter Alia

I'm home now. 5469 Chico Way NW, Bremerton WA 98312-1245, USA, Earth, System Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe in Which I Think I Live. I think my parents would be upset to discover I've posted our address on the internet. We shred every piece of paper that has our address on it. This makes no sense to me because we're listed in the phone book under E E Dahlberg. Oh well. Being home is comfortable, but remembering some of the rules is difficult sometimes. Like shredding the mail; opening letters with a letter opener; flushing the toilet after every use, even if I only peed in it; and letting the day's dirty dishes (except some wood-handled knives that get washed immediately after use) accumulate until, once each day, they're washed after my dad finishes his shower, at about 1825.

I plan to leave here in a few days, though. It'll begin with waking up at about 3:10AM on Monday 07 June to take a 4:25 ferry from Bainbridge Island to Seattle, where I'll meet up with Evan at about 4:50AM to drive to Wyoming. I think I'll stay in Wyoming until the middle-ish of July. Then I'll head back (not sure how yet--bussing, flying, and hitchhiking are all on the table) home before going on a two-week cruise to Alaska with my extended family. I think the cruise will be a really interesting experience for three equally salient reasons:

  1. I feel a bit uncomfortable with people doing things for me.
  2. It's a small cruise ship, and my family will make up about a third of the guests. Some of us haven't seen each other in years.
  3. We're going to Alaska! I expect it'll be beautiful.

Oh, incidentally, here's a music recommendation: "Sun's Gonna Rise" by The Wailin' Jennys. Put your headphones on, turn the volume up high, and wait for some gut-wrenching high-pitched vocal harmonies. Follow that up with "Heaven and Earth" by Blitzen Trapper.

Our flight from Alaska to SeaTac arrives at SeaTac on 14 August. My flight from SeaTac to Seoul leaves the morning of 16 August. I anticipate a hectic 48 hours in which my mother will become frenetic, my father will keep to himself, and I'll pack and respond to my mothers inquests with short, terse answers.

Then, if everything goes according to plan (but then whatever does?) I'll be in Seoul on the 17th and begin teaching on the 21st. I think it'll be a fun ride.

I've been updating my journal/scrapbook, and I came across this gem:

07 July 2009 1124
By the airBaltic Ticket Counter
Līdosta Rīga
Rīga Latvia

I wonder why beautiful women seem to congregate in airports.
OR: What is it about traveling that makes women seem beautiful?
(Līdosta is the Latvian word for airport)

That was updated a few months later in the following entry:

26 December 2009 between 2120 and 0925
Seat 36G. Boeing 767 ER(G)
Somewhere between New York City and Dublin
Atlantic Ocean (Over it)

Addendum to a previous entry about women in the airport: what seems to make the proportion of women wearing brightly colored fleece sweatsuits skyrocket in airports?

No comments:

Post a Comment