Friday, July 3, 2009

Back from the farm

Hey all! O man, its great reading everyone{s posts, Mads keep at the spanish, you'll rock by the time you get back and watch out for the ladrones. you know what? thats actually not something Ive worried about at all in Mexico. Guanajuato is possibly the safest city I{ve visited, I feel totally comfortable walking by myself at 2 am. (not that I do that that often, usually someone offers to walk with me). And en el rancho, no hay muchas personas.

Ya, so I did get a hold of Oscar, and it turns out he does have a family, but he doesnt live on the farm. This guy Alonso does though, but the day after I arrived he left to visit his familia en México. Getting to the farm was a hastle, because although I had the address, no taxi driver knew where it was. So I lived alone on this cactus farm for a week, at which point I finally met Oscar, and he informed me that his family was going to come the next day and I had to move out. I had been working everyday with the 4 workers that come every day, Vicente, y sus hijos Coco, Adrien y su sobrino Daniel. Vicente invited me to stay with his family, which I did for 3 days. They live in un rancho (basically a very small town with dirt streets and horses and trucks) and I was definitely the only guera there. I was standing outside the house with Vicente talking to a neighbor, and a school bus full of kids stared at me shouting Miren, guera! lol, whatever. Anyway, they are the nicest, most generous people ever. They already have 8 people living in a very small house, but would not take no for an answer when I told them that I didn´t want to cause them any problems. Margo, la esposa de Vicente even cried when I left, even though it had been such a short time.

So working on a cactus farm really isn´t all that bad, but hay muchas espinas. I wore long sleeve and leather gloves and still was pulling them out every hour. Basically what we did was weed in between the rows of nopales. you couldnt even squat down to do this because the cactus would prick your ass, so it was really hard on your back. Vicente and Coco dont even wear gloves to work, crazy.

Now I´m off to Irapuato to stay with and help a professor allá. Hoping that everything goes well. Cuidense mucho, todos.

1 comment: