Sunday, July 5, 2009

Me encanta (a freakin' long blog)


I can’t really say that I’ve had that many life changing experiences. Our world is so globalized with information that it’s hard to see something really new, or to feel something incredible that you never thought you would. I can strongly say that this weekend trip to the jungle in Ecuador changed my life.

As part of the program we were taken to a resort called La Casa del Suiza six hours out of Quito in the Amazon jungle. The resort is on the Rio Napo in the pueblo of Ahuano (for those google earth junkies). We got there on Thursday and stayed for three days. All of our time was scheduled with incredible trips. Thursday after almuerzo we were taken by our guides to a mariposa greenhouse where we were shown different species at different phases and cocoons that looked like gold.


That night, of course most of our group had to find a bar (for those of you who don’t know, I am suffering on this trip only from constant company of jovenes-alcoholics). We went into the tiny pueblo (town) and walked in the dark down the road where we found a karaoke bar, along the way passing a solely-lit, packed, volleyball court in the vein of foreshadowing. All twenty four americans in this tiny bar. Beer for a dollar. Couple of locals hanging out. Drank a little, early night.


Let me make a comment about traveling with Americans. I am traveling with the Americans who embrace obnoxious American stereotypes. I am constantly embarrassed. Por ejemplo, a cultural different becomes apparent in a karaoke bar. On our “ecua-karaoke” there were of course english and spanish songs. When a local would do a spanish song, it was beautiful. I hardly knew that I was listening to karaoke and not a cd. When an American does a karaoke song, he or she brings up three of his or her friends, beers in hand and shout Mambo No. 5 into the mic off key, off tone, dancing like fools. Eff.


Anyway, so I introduced this longest blog of the century as a life changing experience. Well, the key to this came the next day when we became friends with our guides. These men, Freddy and Ronald, took us on our excursions into the jungle and showed us all of the amazing medicinal plants and cacao trees and animals. My friends and I befriended them and they invited us to a party that was happening that night. It was a graduation party for some girl, but more than that it was a Quichua (local indigenous) party. We met them at nine and ended up going to a discoteca for a while first but later Emily, Ismael, Sarah, Belinda and I went with Freddy and Ronald to our first Quichua party.


To set the stage, the town is made of hut like buildings. They are raised to be protected from river flooding and have thatch roofs. These are indigenous people living traditionally. We went off the main road and in the dark through the neighborhood dirt paths in the town. Eventually we arrived at the casa on the river. Freddy went in to ask permission, all was quiet, and then the Quichua music began... the most beautiful music. We went in and sat on a bench. It wasn’t five seconds before a couple of smiling men came over to ask us gringas to dance. I did not stop dancing that night except to pee by the river. I have never peed in a more beautiful setting.


Each dance I would talk with the men and ask them about their lives. Most had lived an Ahuano their entire lives. Some had fought in militaries, and all of them spoke Quichua.


I was welcomed in to an indigenous family’s home and partied with them, traditional style. I was so honored when a woman came up to offer me Chicha. It is the traditional alcoholic drink that is made by chewing on Yuka root until it ferments. I was offered to drink it twice... and luckily have not had any stomach problems from the tap water.


To cut this shorter, the next night our friend Logan played in the local volleyball game and his team won. We were invited to another birthday party and were up until 3 am dancing with the locals. We sat in the street for an hour waiting for the guard to open the gate, and soaked up Ahuano.


My life was changed by a village of friendly, poor, but not suffering people who welcomed me so enthusiastically that I forgot to be embarrassed that I was white. I want to learn the language of Quichua and I have fallen in love with Ecuador. I have only two weeks left and am tempted to ditch Scotland and travel around America Sur with all you others. I want to continue to study spanish and return to learn Quichua. Hopefully this feeling of amazement lingers. I know yall will have a just as wonderful experience. Katie, sounds like you are :)


Less than two weeks left. Dan, you are going to love this place.

7 comments:

  1. even with the risk of getting another rebuke from brian about my innate blogging comments... that sounds amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madeline...I don't know what to say..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, sorry about that other comment, Arizzle. I think I was drunk and thought it would come off as funny...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like what you had was a real, authentic life experience, and that is something that is really special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like peeing in fun places. A few weeks ago I peed on the Arctic Circle.

    Also, glad you're enjoying yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn it Brett, I was going to comment on the peeing part. Also enjoyed it. Sounds amazing Mads. Ya, come with us!

    ReplyDelete