Wednesday, July 1, 2009

break-thru


The family I live with consists of my mother, Ibis, and my 17 year old sister, Maria Elena. For the past 2.5 weeks my mother has been the most patient, compassionate, interested, and enthusiastic person in regards to my limited but improving spanish-speaking abilities. My sister however has been more of a challenge. In general she's not the happiest person and is annoyed with Ibis alot. She speaks very fast and does not exactly cater to my handicap... so we have ended up more or less saying hello and goodbye and not speaking much at the table.

HOWEVER, tonight was a breakthrough. For the first time Ibis, Maria Elena, her friend Paulina and I sat down for "dinner" and a conversation emerged. It was one which I could completely understand and that was lighthearted. I forgot all about my selfconsciousness and really enjoyed the conversation. My sister, mother and I all ended up with a mad case of the giggles which was encouraged by a moth flying into my face and my sister making fun of how much food my mom forces on me.

It's moments like these that really get me excited about being here and speaking Spanish.
Success.
Mads.

ps. I saw a whale... does this mean I'm as cool as Natz now? Oh wait, not possible :)
pps. more pictures on my flickr for all to peruse

8 comments:

  1. ¿Is your sister played by Penélope Cruz?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arianna—

    What an inane comment. Or perhaps you were being savagely sarcastic. If so, bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Briaaannn.....

    good one

    Madeline! That sounds awesome! I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. and the whale is a great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you're having those experiences Mads!! Sounds fuckin exciting!! I love you!

    ReplyDelete